| || |
April 24, 2012
Dining with Myself...Uh oh!
(Now I dare you to try to get Billy Idol’s song Dancing with Myself out of your head!)
For twenty years, I had a love-hate relationship with food. Now, I’m a foodie: I eat what I love and I love what I eat.
I’m also a people person—so not surprisingly, one of my favorite activities is eating with my friends and family. Ironically, as a professional speaker traveling around the country, I often eat dinner by myself.
When you think about eating by yourself, what comes to mind?
- Great! A chance to experience a wonderful meal!
- Eating by myself is borrrr-ring!
- Everyone must think I’m pathetic and don’t have any friends to eat with.
- Good! Now I can eat whatever I want and as much as I want!
- Uh, oh...I can't trust myself alone with food!
Whether eating by yourself conjures up boredom, embarrassment, anticipation, or fear, it gives you a little hint about the state of your relationship with food.
Your Relationship with Food
You may have wondered about that strange phrase: a relationship with an inanimate object? Food?
Just like a relationship with a partner, your thoughts and feelings about food reveal the state of your relationship. Would you say that your relationship with food reflects love, care, curiosity, anticipation, joy, and contentment? Or is it boring, predictable, taken for granted - or even abusive?
Since this is an important lifelong relationship, perhaps it's time to reignite that spark by having a love affair with your food. I don't mean the secretive, cheating kind of affair. I mean rediscovering the reason you fell in love in the first place.
Have an Affair with Your Food I believe that healing your relationship with food requires you to love food more, not less. Think abou it: when you really love someone, you spend time with them, give them your full attention, and respect them. So make a date with yourself...and be good company!
Assuming your first date goes well, maybe you'll decide to go Dancing with Yourself on your next date! (Or how about escaping with us for a fabulous 5 day retreat to build a strong, healthy relationship? Read more below.)
- Take yourself OUT to dinner; lunch is fine too if you don't want to rush into anything.
- Select a special restaurant where you are unlikely to run into anyone you know so you can enjoy the experience privately. It doesn’t need to be expensive—just known for its great food and ambience. Choose a place you’ve always wanted to go or one that has been highly recommended by the concierge, a food critic, or a trusted foodie.
- Dress for the occasion so you feel your best—you're worth it!
- Leave your book, computer, and other distractions at home; put your phone in airplane mode so you won't be disturbed.
- Ask for the best table, preferably one with a window view—or my favorite, a view of the staff preparing your meal!
- Take your time perusing the menu, asking questions, and paying attention to what really appeals to you. Skip the buffet, the ordinary, the healthiest, or the cheapest items unless that is what you really want. Keep in mind that you don't want to ruin this special occasion by feeling stuffed so order only as much food as you can comfortably enjoy without regret.
- Linger over your meal. Be selective; don't bother eating a second bite of anything that isn't fabulous. Appreciate the appearance and aromas and savor every bite.
- Stay tuned into your body language. You may be surprised to notice clear signals of satisfaction when you slow down and truly enjoy your food.
- HInt: When you find yourself compelled to take a picture of your lovely food, you'll know you've fallen back in love! (See my gorgeous tapas in Chicago below.)
Eat Mindfully, Live Vibrantly!
Michelle May, M.D.
P.S. Be the first person to email email@example.com with the page number of my “airport story” in Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat and we’ll send you a pack of Am I Hungry? Motivational Companion Cards!
All-Inclusive Summer Retreat!
Mindful Eating, Vibrant Living Retreat
Instead of just a summer get-away, plan a vacation that will nourish your body, mind, heart, and spirit long after your suitcases have been put away!
July 22-27, 2012 at Red Mountain Resort in beautiful Utah!
Your all-inclusive retreat includes:
- 6 days and 5 nights of deluxe lodging
- Three delicious healthy meals daily
- Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Workshops by Dr. May
- All resort activities, guided hikes, and fitness classes
Download the detailed retreat packet or check out the retreat page with video and info packet for all the details.
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat with Diabetes: A Mindful Eating Program for Thriving with Diabetes or Prediabetes by Michelle May, M.D. with Megrette Fletcher, M.Ed., R.D., CDE
BONUS! After you purchase your copy, visit the registration page to download a private teleseminar with authors Michelle May and Megrette Fletcher!
Available now from your favorite local bookstore and Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com
Subscribe to the Am I Hungry? E-News and read past issues. http://amihungry.com/enews.shtml
Connect with Dr. Michelle May:
Press Room: http://www.MichelleMayMD.com/press-room.shtml
Diabetes and Mindful Eating website, blog, and resources: http://www.diabetesandmindfuleating.com/
Dr. May now has a blog on Huffington Post - check out her first post: Diets Are Like Antacids.
Make Your Meeting Meaningful and Memorable
Michelle May, M.D., C.S.P. shares her powerful approach to building sustainable healthy lifestyles with health care professionals, corporations, associations, and organizations across the country. Whether she is delivering a workshop for 65 or a keynote for 6500, her positive message and authentic “been there” approach connects with audiences and transforms the way they view eating and physical activity.
In addition to her keynotes and workshops, her popular facilitated mindful eating experiences engage and inspire your participants to make lasting changes that support a vibrant, healthy life.
Please visit www.MichelleMayMD.com for her preview video, keynotes, workshops, NEW Community Keynote Program, and spokesperson or sponsorship information.
| || || |
|Where is Michelle? |
Eat What You Love,
Love What You Eat
The Center for Mindful Eating Teleseminars
Listen to Part 1 and 2 HERE
Purchase Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat
with Diabetes then register to listen to this recording of a conversation with the authors.
Get Healthy West Georgia
Tanner Health Center
April 25, 2012
Energized Living Today
April 26, 2012
2:00 pm PST/5:00 pm EST
Connecticut Dental Association Annual Conference
May 9-11, 2012
Mikey Hoeven's Women's Wellness Expo
June 11, 2012
Special Guest Presenter at
Red Mountain Resort
June 13 - 15, 2012
Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Vibrant Living Retreat
Red Mountain Resort
July 22 - 27, 2012
Women In Search of Excellence Luncheon
August 8, 2012
Professional Business Women of California
September 11, 2012
Integris Health, Center for Mind, Body and Spirit
Oklahoma City, OK
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE)
October 7, 2012
Heal Thy Practice
Long Beach, CA
November 9-11, 2012
December 1, 2012
Bring Michelle to your next event or sponsor her to share her compelling message with your audience!